You finally decided to go for it. You’d been eyeing that bottle of splurge-worthy golden green Spanish extra virgin olive oil for some time now. You know the one, it sits right above the olive oil that you usually buy, but this one taunts you with its beautiful packaging and “Made in Spain” label, and promises to be the key to turning your so-so salads into feats of deliciousness.
But other than salad, you have no idea what else to do with it. When in doubt, turn to the Spaniards, we say. They’ve been using extra virgin olive oil for millennia and have more than a few creative ideas to use up your precious bottle of liquid gold. Be prepared to step outside of the everyday, and give some of these combinations a go.
- Drizzle a bit Castillo de Canena Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil over chocolate ice cream, add a bit of Matiz Sea Salt
- Popcorn shaken with Castillo de Canena Smoked Arbequina Olive Oil and Matiz Sea Salt
- Give a glug of Olivar de la Luna Extra Virgin Olive Oil to hard and soft cheeses, sopping up the spills with crusty bread
- Add a used, split vanilla bean pod into a small bottle or container of extra virgin olive oil, let it infuse for a few days and use it for making pancakes, french toast or add into other pastry recipes.
- Add Castillo de Canena Biodynamic Extra Virgin Olive Oil to guacamole, which gives it extra flavor and creaminess
- Mix a few tablespoons of olive oil with 2 cups orange juice, pour over chilled orange slices with chopped fresh mint for a summer dessert
- Drizzle olive oil over thin baguette slices spread with melted dark chocolate. Sprinkle with Matiz Sea Salt and serve.
- Try an olive oil martini – add ¼ teaspoon olive oil to 2 ounces gin, 1 ounce vermouth, 2 dashes of orange bitters and an olive. Stir with ice and serve.